Sunday, January 18, 2009

Weekend Update: My So-Called Life

We all want to know what happened with the stories that touched our hearts here, and so updates from people who have posted stories here are always welcome. I'll be posting these on weekends, so that we don't get any further behind in the regular posting schedule (many of you are waiting to see your posts up here, and I promise, they're coming. It's just that there are lots of them, and I don't want to bunch them all together. You all deserve your time at the top of the page to get your story heard and to see discussion). Here's an update on the story, My So-called Life, posted by Anonymous...

HBM,

I don’t know if you remember me but I wrote this post for the Basement last year. Some people asked me to update them with my progress, and now I finally can.

Since my last, I let things spiral down a bit further until December, when I got a wake up call that I had hit rock bottom and called my parents crying, and finally asked for help. Through a plan with my mother’s employer that covers all my costs, I got help from a counsellor, who talked to me and asked me about myself, my plans, my hopes, my dreams and where I thought everything had went wrong. Between the two of us, along with help from my parents, we’ve got new goals set, and a new plan is in motion.

I am moving home at the end of March for the summer (as my courses are all correspondence this year, and I can leave earlier than most students). I’m living at my parents place for the summer, rent free, and working to save up money for next year. I’ve in the process of transferring to a university that’s a little less than an hour’s drive to my hometown, and it will be easy for me to visit family and friends on weekends, when I want to. Once school starts, I will still be living on my own and independent, but I will be an hour away, instead of almost seven. I’m going home, where I belong, and it feels great.

I want to thank you for posting my story, Catherine, and also thank every person who commented on my story, prayed for me, encouraged me, and told me to seek help and that moving closer to home and reaching out wasn’t a sign of me failing. I needed to hear it so badly at that point, from unbiased people who don’t know me or have their own plans for me, so thank you for your support and your encouragement. You all helped give me the push I needed to get out of the darkest stage, and I am so grateful. Thank you to each and every one of you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! I'm so happy for you! I've very happy to hear that you making such great decisions - including getting some counselling. Thank you for the update :) I hope things continue to go well for you.

Major Bedhead said...

Good for you for taking these steps. It's not easy to pull yourself out of a depression like that, so you really deserve a big pat on the back.

ewe are here said...

I'm absolutely thrilled to hear about all the changes you've made and will be making this spring... I think moving home for a while, then changing universities is going to make a world of difference to your mental health. I wish you much luck, love and joy in your new life.

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Home is where you belong.

LoveLladro said...

I am so glad to hear you went home. I lost my mom 4.5 years ago and I still battle depression over it on a daily basis. From someone who lost her 'home'... please never feel weak or small because you went home. It just means more time you get with them. I admire you for wanting to be around your parents. Hug them for me, would ya?

Anonymous said...

Way to go :)
You knew you needed help and you reached out for it. It is hard to ask for help but it is good to ask for help. I think it gets easier to ask for help the more you practice doing it. You have shown insight and good decision making. You should be proud of yourself; I hope you are proud of yourself:)

You were aware: you described your attitude, behaviour, mood and affect, thought processes, thought content and reality of your situation in such a clear articulate way that allowed the commenters to see that you were asking for help. That was your first good step. Now you have taken more steps in the right direction. I have a good feeling about you. You are on your way. You are learning how to make good decisions for yourself. You will be a good mother one day. You will listen to your children and help them to make good decisions to. One day at a time right now. All the best to you on your journey and throughtout your life.

Being alive is enough of a reason to take stock, move forward. If something is not working, change it. I'm glad you did.

Issa said...

I am so glad to hear this update. Good for you for reaching out and for going home. Better to move and change things, than be unhappy.