Monday, June 15, 2009

Write It Yourself

Posted by Anonymous.

I've been doing this writing thing for a while now and I truly enjoy it.

Before I was a writer I had an office job, before that I worked retail and I can say that this is a much more rewarding (although somewhat less lucrative - so far) profession.

However...

(and you knew there was going to be a however, or why would I be here in the Basement?)

... one thing I could do without are the writing prompts.

Family member: Why don't you write about the cute little penguin in the wetsuit?

Neighbor: You should write about re-doing your laundry.

And the worst, most offensive of all - an editor at a group blog (and UNPAID group blog, mind you) "The hottest news topic today is David Kellerman, the Freddie Mac CFO who committed suicide. I can't think of anything to say about that, but maybe you can."

I'd say that is inappropriate for a regional parenting website, but maybe I am not the boss for a reason.

I have been doing this writing thing for a while now and if you want to write about penguins or laundry or David Kellerman go ahead and do so, but mind your own business and leave me the hell alone.

5 comments:

MrsMessiness said...

Amen, sister.
I was recently asked to write about my daughter dying her hair pink, only my daughter did not dye her hair pink. I was told "you're supposed to make it up - that's what everyone does". Um, no thank you.

MYSUESTORIES said...

Love it! Love it! Love it!!!! Why is it that those who DON'T write think they have all the best ideas NEVER written?????

Anonymous said...

Up until really recently I was doing photo 365. I got really fed up with people saying "have you got your pic for today? How about ...." insert whatever they happened to be looking at right then.

Anonymous said...

What's the big deal? No matter profession you're in, people will have unsolicited advice/questions. I can think of worse things than your family/neighbors etc. taking an interst in your job.

blog 2 vie said...

This was a loovely blog post